18 September 2007

Winter Palace

Built around 1902, the Winter Palace of Bogd Khaan is where Mongolia's 8th Living Buddha, and last king, Jebtzun Damba Hutagt VIII, lived for 20 years. There's no clear explanation of the reasons why the Palace was spared destruction by the Russian and turn into a museum. I have my own personal idea though, as you can see on the photos, the winter palace itself is quiet Russian style, although they tried to complement it by adding Buddhist decorations. That for me sounds like a quiet a good enough excuse not to destroy it. I might be completely wrong though!
Next to the Palace there's a temple. Where artists and religious people lived and somehow serve the king.


The temple from the outside

It looked good for the picture!
Is just at the entrance, and the Ger is a souvenir shop!
I shouldn't say it, it looses all the glam!

A few details of the temple! The art work of it is amazing! So much into detail, maybe showing the importance they give to their religion. I do not have a picture of it (was being treated) but the main entrance door was built with no nails.


Another freaking Buddha! I've decided to have a collection of those!!!

Bend the head to the left.
It's one of my preferred photos, it's one of the door from the inside of the temple.




The winter palace itself! As you can see quiet European.

1 comment:

Sylvie said...

Et il y a des spectacles parfois?