13 September 2007

One day on the countryside. With a Herder family!

Last Saturday we all jumped in a microbus and off we went with the Ethnologist (forgot his name, having some trouble remembering things lately, I'm blaming the highs) to the middle of nowhere. When we arrived to the place the families lived Dr. realised they have moved, lack of water further down the valley. We then had to find an other family, off we go all packed in, and stop at the first Ger on sight. The ethnologist gets down and talks to the lady, explaining what a bunch of foreigners is doing all squashed in a minivan. She'd be honored to welcome us into her Ger. We ended up spending the whole day with her, share food and drinks. Went for an amazing walk up the mountain. The horses were competing so no riding!! Her husband and son arrived later. The whole day was just amazing! The trip till the place, those landscapes are just indescribable! We had such an interesting conversation with the ethnologist about culture, religion, politics. The best so far. Increased by the walk, the nature. I loved it.


The family cows. Night time they are put in those as there is loads of wolves around.


In the Ger. A traditional Mongolian family.
They had 5 children but they all live in the city now. So is only the couple.

The welcoming lady, whom I forgot the name!

Homemade yogurt, delicious!
Seriously I was a bit sceptical about it, but ended up having seconds!

Just love it! The best way to keep thing and not losing them in the chaos!

The kitchen spot

I probably told you already, Buddhism is the main religion around, the Dalai Lama has come to Mongolia a few times, which creates a lot of trouble with China who closes all the frontiers for the time He's around!

And now some shots outside!

The best way to dry your boots I reckon!

The Ger. The place around the Ger is call the family city. For example if it was my Ger the place around will be called "vdA Hotos" (Hotos=city). When they move the Ger, the head of the family decides of the spot they will put it up, and they offer some milk to the land (the spirit of the mountains though). The build up normally takes 20min, and 2 people are needed.
On the outside you can see the drying cheese.


Yeap! you find those every now and again!

Those actually were the family's.
Didn't like human much I tried to get close but they kept running away!

I don't know how you see this, but living it was amazing, the wind was very strong, the view was 360*. That's what I dreamed off all this time. And there I was! Only the horse was missing! Next time!

I did climbed all. Felt so good! Was a bit surreal, day dreaming motion!

See those white spots at the bottom? That's the Ger! (and this picture is only half way). By the way I was told the Ger felt has always been white, to make it easier to see it from far (supposedly 40km)


My little friend! There were loads of them, Sitting on top of the mountain looking at the landscape with the wind and the sun smashing my face, the concert went for ages. Might sound a bit odd for some, but I think that moment, me on my own sitting there was the first time since I got here that I realised where I was and remember why I was here. Overwhelming!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Creo que me muero de hambre, habra que ir con su picnic para todos los dias. Leche y yogurt, me muero.

Una bici?? Cuantos kilometros para llegar a alguna parte en bici?