28 September 2007

Embassy & Homestay

So I could start by the British embassy. Every friday the embassy that has his own pub inside the british territory, holds a evening. You need a member card and announce that you are coming before noon. I have to say I was dreading it (a bit too uptight for me) but had an amazing time in there. It's the networking place for foreigns working here, and I sadly need to admit that it felt good to be within westerners for a night.
Some of us having a drink at the caf' next door waiting for the "Steppe Inn" to open (the pub). No! we couldn't wait 30min!!!



After that night the ambassador himself invited us for diner (the new volunteers). I thought it was a privilege, but apparently he does it for every bunch of volunteers that arrive here (I probably shouldn't say it and leave it as a privilege, but cant help it been too honest). I should be careful of what I say as this is a public space and you never know who is gonna read it. It was a very nice evening (the diner at the ambassador residence, I like the way that sounds!) i had the impression to be in the Ferrero-Rocher advertising. But I have to say it felt out of place. As soon as we passed the security line we left Mongolia and entered the western civilization. The US ambassador also lives there and so does most of the US embassy working crowd, the French left because a Hilton Hotel is being construct next to it and it ruined their view!!!. It was certainly agreeable to see flowers and green grass and a European style house, but the luxury lost me. It's not a critique, one has the role that they search for, it was just disturbing to go from one extreme to the other. At the same time i was dribbling in front of the goat cheese quiche and the smoke salmon! I wont lie I had a very good evening, eat loads and enjoy the company, the place and the luxury. I certainly go back if they invite me again, but if i was giving the choice (which wont happen anyway) I would not live there, I much prefer my dusty smelly russian bloc apartment!

After that bizarre evening we went for the other extreme. We had to spend the weekend actually, 4 days in a Mongolian family! I tried to escape, but couldn't. So saturday morning I was downstairs with my backpack and my little piece of paper with my name on it, waiting for the family to come and pick me up. !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I felt like a child going to a summer camp, not! not even that I felt like a child being forced to spend the weekend in your parents' friends house. When i look back it wasn't thaaaaat bad. Ok, honesty please! It wasn't that bad because I didn't stay the whole time, I had to come back to the flat Saturday night (yeap! the same day), then went back on Sunday (to the family) and by Monday after spending the whole night coughing and feeling incredible uncomfortable about sleeping in a double bed when the parents were sleeping in the living room, and the 3 children in one tiny room, I decided to come back. The cold i had was a good enough excuse. The family was lovely, well the children, as the parents worked 8 to 9, even the weekend, so rarely saw them. The idea of the experience was to get to know the culture and to practice the language. So as for learning a bit more about the culture, I did, all this subtleties that are difficult to explain but when you actually live it it makes sense. But for the practicing the language..... lost cause... the eldest girl spoke spotless english (almost). So other than making them laugh when I tried to adventure myself in making a sentence, nope! I didn't practice!


Waiting to be picked up! We do look quiet desperate!
I just wanted to run away, at that point!



1 of the kids from the family, so cute!




No comments: