24 August 2007

It's been a week!

Ok writing this blog has been an experience... Hmmm is when I realise that either this technology has a mind of it's own or I'm just getting old and I just don't get it! More likely to be the second option!
Anyway, let's keep on going!
So Ulaanbaatar! the city of the "red hero", found @ 1500m. I do not intend to give you a history, geography, sociology lesson. But out of my astonishment as a new arrival, I do find amazing that such civilization is so bad know by the general public.
This city (I can't really say country yet as I haven't seen much of it) is outrageously incredible. How couldn't they not be if they survive such extreme temperatures and conquer the world!?
As the summer season the whole city is being rebuild, the extreme cold not only doesn't allow such work during winter but also it damages the strongest structures. So as a consequence the roads are up side down and builders work 24/7. And to add some movement, it has been raining since i got here (no seriously this is not funny, I was in such bad mood when i saw the rain this morning! isn't this supposed to be the 300 days a year of blue sky!!!!!), the roads are quiet epic! I'll try to get some pictures!
Something funny, well not funny but impressive. Is the way the city is build, you have a few main boulevards in a russian style. And between them is a total mess. You need to know your way as names are not an option here, and shortcuts here are the thing, in between buildings and between fences!. I've learn a couple but there's a bunch to discover.
I've tried, quiet hard as we have a pretty full time table during this 5 weeks of In-Country training (language courses in the morning and training in the afternoon and some stuff night time: the fun bit), to go around the city: in discovery trips. And I have to say that I very much like it. It's a total mess, it's dusty (when it's not raining!!!!!!), the traffic is chaotically dangerous (the crossing the road has a code of itself: the jungle!!!). I can't really communicate with people (you should've seen me in the market trying to buy some fruit!!! it was sign language!), I don't get what people say around me, blah blah blah, but I love it! It's certainly the novelty but there's something about this city. I've been to an art gallery which was closed but we were invited in by the artist who was taking all the work out the walls and had a great conversation in polish (!!!!!! seriously, he didn't speak english but did some polish and Rob one of the guys is half polish) he explained all the symbolism he tried to project, it was amazing and quiet surreal. And tonight was the folk night "Tumenekh", with some dancers (I know what I'll be doing for the next 2 years! so beautiful and charmant), a throat singer (woawwwww seriously i never heard it live! bloody hell that was serious singing, not only the sounds are amazing and you have the feeling the person is connect with a 4th dimension, but the power, the strength of it, I think i had my mouth open all the way) and then the contortionists (this 3 girls, seriously it wasn't physically possible!) Check the photos!
Also, I love waking up in the morning, going to the balcony with a cup of tea and a cig (I know I was supposed to stop! no comments!) and watch the people passing by or exercising in the park/square in front of the building with a beautiful mountain on the background (I tried to take a photo today but it was all foggy and rainy! so it'll have to wait! if it does stop raining!).
Well that's all for today, I've done quiet well, let's see if i can download the photos now!!! Or I'll feel sorry for myself again!!! Why doesn't it want to download the portrait format one!!!




Now you'll be able to see the difficulties i've been envcoutering!!! this bloddy machine keeps turning my photos, no matter what i do with them!!! Well I put them anyway so you can have a look at it !Those girls where amazing seriously, it was no physically possible, try to spot the different parts of the body!!!






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Throat singer? como lo que tu haces con la garganta?

Qué bailan?