26 November 2009

The life of an expat in Burundi

How is life for an expat? Easy I want to say! But is it really?

Usually awaken by the mosque (thats the 4 o'clock alarm) or the mass (the 6 o'clock one). After a shower some food we are headed to work, sit in front of a computer for most of the day then go home, and lazy around for a bit. When not too tired, I go running in the park next to the house, or go for dinner with friends, or the top of the top is going for a massage and then for food. Weekends are usually spend by the beach (the lake one no sea), where I usually go swimming in the hotel pool. And is also time for errands, like going to the market, sorting personal stuff. On Sunday there are beach volley games I haven't join yet actively but shall do soon... and then we start again, so yes it's an easy life.

However I am most of the time on the road, so the difficulty starts when I have to head to the hills very early in the morning after a 3 hours drive on the tracks and being shaken like an cocktail on the making I arrive, do the work, sleep where I am (it is forbidden to drive after dark in the countryside (too dangerous)) then go back to the city or stay a little longer. I love this field visits, absolutely love them, the people I get to meet, being with the grassroots, the landscape I get to see and the things I get to live. But the trips kill me, the car is like Valium for me, arrive somewhere and having to work always demand an extra effort, then doing it the other way around arrive to the office and keep working... it's beautiful but killing! Since I've been here I've been doing it at least once q week for 2-3 days in the hills!

No comments: