03 July 2008

When the roars began to quieten...

Thursday morning... almost 48hours after the mess...

I'm at home, the organisation I came with gave green lights to go to work, I just had a great excuse not to. Life seems to be back to normal, it's unbelievable that everything has calm down so quickly. I look outside my building and the city is calm, they are rebuilding the gate of the police station. People are walking as if nothing ever happen. The state of emergency still on, the curfew still on. But the tension that you could actually touch yesterday is fainting.
I'm sure it also has to do with communication. There's not much on the international news, and not being able to understand the language makes it for me, mission impossible. Moreover, the president has in his decree of emergency shat down all broadcasting organisations that are not the state's (so now the only information is the one held by the MPRP people). Information is being filtered. They even said yesterday on the news that guns were not used, bollocks! (excuse my language) I was there! I heard them I heard the screaming afterwards. They were trying to sell the fact that more police men were injured that civils. They wanted to make it look as if the police was being beaten up. Again! bollocks! I heard the teaser (electric shock thingy).
My point is... When all this started to happen, I proudly thought I'm here, I'm in Mongolia at the exact point were history is being made! This is the first time since 1991-1992 that people go out on the streets with such anger and protest, claiming their rights! Is the first time they are not being complaisant about such corruption. But now, everything seems to be back to normal (or at least it seems that way) and then I wonder, is this going to stop here? Did they fight for nothing? Is the government going to pay them again to stop the movement? I don't know, I hope not, I'm not saying there should be more violence, I think Tuesday night was over the top, but I hope people will keep on what they started.
In an other hand, is people being quiet because there's tanks all over the city and military people dress as if they were going to war? are they waiting for the state of emergency to be lifted to go back to the front? I don't know...
This country is so young on that matter, when you see how the government reacted to some riots, it makes you wonder, do you really need the tanks in the middle of the city centre??? What are you gonna do with them, shoot? destroy the city? hmmmm... Intimidation, definitely! But what about human right and freedom of speech?...

It's raining, I like to think Mongolia is crying...


This photo was taken from my balcony this morning (Friday), forcing the calm or real calm? Check the guns!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It has been on the news here a fair bit - here's an article from the Economist (bad pun in the title!):

http://www.economist.com/world/asia/displaystory.cfm?story_id=11671178

Gosh, so dramatic - I can't believe you were in the thick of it! Glad you're okay, I checked your facebook and stuff to make sure hehe

And the photos look BEAUTIFUL! we so want to come visit you - will you still be there next spring?